Thursday, May 27, 2010

Welcome back old friend...

Recently, with my internship and other things, I've been staying really busy. It's been stressful...not because I'm not loving my internship (because I really am), but because the things that I normally would get done during my days, I can't do and when I get home I'm too tired to do them. If I had a dime for every time I've heard the "Welcome to the real world..." speech this week I'd be rich. But see, here's the thing. I am preparing myself for the real world; so why give that speech or even make that comment? It's taking some getting used to, but I'm really loving what I'm doing.

Anyways, I'm babbling. Tonight I was helping my brother study for his chorus exam tomorrow...you know, counting out measures, naming different notes & vocabulary terms--stuff like that. I never really had to study when I took chorus because of myself being in band in high school for all those years. It just kind of came naturally. After we'd finished studying, I started remembering my high school days and how far I've come since then. I remembered playing my flute in the band and all the wonderful friendships I made because of being part of that group. So yes...I did it...I pulled my flute case from out of hiding (I haven't touched it in over a year--at least.) and I began to play. I couldn't play as loud as I felt because I didn't want to disturb the whole house, but nonetheless, I played. I can't describe how good it felt, honestly. Then I remembered how amazing playing always made me feel; kind of the same feeling writing gives me. It takes all of my stress and problems away to the point of helping me to forget what I was even worried about in the first place.

Call me a nerd, dork, whatever. I've heard it all. It was just nice to play again :)

So welcome back old friend...

2 comments:

  1. Awww...I love to hear you play. In fact, was the last time you played April 17, 2009 in Savannah. That will always be my fondest memory of you playing the flute.
    I won't say welcome to the real world because you will find that balance in your life. You'll learn to prioritize what is important and what can wait. You'll learn to just sit and relax. It took me 41 years to learn to do that and not feel guilty. Learn to spend time with yourself and enjoy the best company you have...yourself and your thoughts.
    I love you!

    P.S. Jared is blessed to have a sister like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dena! And yes, before yesterday, that was the last time I'd played. I really enjoyed it. I'm glad I could help make that day special for you. Thanks for the advice...I can slowly feel myself learning that same lesson. And I hope Jared knows how lucky he is ;-)

    ReplyDelete